Love

 

It is amazing the things you learn from watching things. Recently I was watching an interview with one of my favourite actresses. she was asked about her thoughts on love and independence for females. The answer she gave was pretty deep and it sort of, got me thinking about God’s love for us.

For most of us, we have an ideal thought about love in a romantic way. When we fall in love, everything in the world will be rosy and all the stars will align in perfect harmony. We forget about everything else. But the answer that she gave aligns similarly with my own thoughts – as well as being a good partner but the person should also be a good friend. They should awaken and stir you, support and help you develop and pursue one’s own work as well as caring the family.

This led me to think about God’s love. People have asked me why I believe in Christianity. I tell them it is because of God's love but what does it mean? What I have learned about God’s love is this.

1.     He is my partner and friend – In the days when no one seems to understand where I am; it is in my prayer life I cry out. I vent my anger, frustration, thoughts, joys onto Him, receive comfort and wisdom in response. He is my partner in life that has walked me into places and opportunities in life I never thought I could step into.

2.       He awakens and stirs – God’s love awakens and stirs something in my life that is beyond just a life of need. He brought a conscience and clarity of thought, direction, and purpose which is beyond my career and pursuit of money. Challenging me to grow in love for others, to dream beyond my little world into communities and countries I have never thought about. He is interested in my growth as a person, reaching for the fullness of what life has to offer.

3.       He supports and helps – one thing that she mentioned in the interview that struck accord with me –  correction. If love is real; the support and help shouldn’t just be in a warm and fluffy way, it should enable your growth. I hear the statement like "if God loves me then why does he let these things happen to me?". There are many reasons for it, but I believe one of the reasons is for my growth. We all have blind spots which we can’t see, but others can see very well. A good partner will not only see but guide a correction even if it hurts. Sometimes this can be even harder on the partner than on you.

4.       Pursuit of one’s work as well as caring for the family – if we say that we fall in love and neglect everything us. We can just sit there and stare into each other’s eyes all day and all night, that’s not very wise, right? Rather, God has encouraged the pursuit of work and dreams. His love has never stop me for pursuing my career and interest. It is a funny thought, right? But how do we do this to our partners in strange ways? -  comments we made, the pressures, the stares, emotional pull, etc. It is a healthy thing to pursue one’s dreams and career with limitation, and I guess that is the second part – care for the family. The balance of career and family is critical. Through the Bible, there are so many words which have help guide and shape my career and aspirations. But this doesn’t come at the expense of my family nor His family – Church. Both still needs to be looked after.

For me, love is more than just an emotional feeling. It is a choice I have chosen to commit to love and care for someone. I believe the love of God is the same. I can’t even count the number of times I have stuffed up in my life for God to call ‘quits’ on me. But He doesn’t. He just continues to pursue me, encouraging me to love back in response. That's love to me at it is best. I know we are not God and we can't love perfectly but we can try.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion - Where's my security?

Uniqueness of each journey

I'm so HOT! - I am UNIQUE (Psa 139:13-14)