Matthew 14:27-28 | Stepping Out


 27 But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.”

28“Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.”
29 “Come,” he said. Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus.

~ Matthew 14:27 - 28 ~

We all go through phrases of life and I think with mine, these verses have been in my thoughts. Somehow, somewhere. In the midst of lockdown, fear somehow has creeped into my psyche.  Somewhere in the midst of the last months, I have grown more fearful of moving forward, of things changing and the uncertainty of it all.

I thought about Peter and the other 11 disciples in the boat. It is so easy for us to read the Bible and skimming over the words and pages. But my imagination tends to run when I read things and ask questions. In this situation, couple questions come to mind:
  1. Only Peter stepped out of the boat, what about the other 11? Were they not even curious at all?
  2. Has anyone ever seen anyone walk on water before or since?
  3. What would be running through the thoughts of the disciples? What were they feeling?

I thought about the third question. I can't imagine the fear that must have consumed them. Firstly, the fear for their safety. The boat was going against the wind; if you have sailing before, they would know that the boat would have been toss around like a toy boat by the waves. Even for an experience, fishermen, the threaten of capsize would be frightening. Secondly, how many of us have ever seen someone walking on water? That is unnatural. I thought of such sight, would send terror through my spine. The fear that must have consumed them when they saw someone walking on water.

I can't imagine what it would have been like; the boat threating to capsize then there is the fear of seeing someone walking on water. It seems like there are fears building on fears, and in the midst of that, Peter steps out in faith. We know that Peter is a bit hot-headed and impulsive but fear upon fear will paralyse anyone. So what gave Peter the courage to do the something extraordinary.

From what I have read, the courage of Peter came when Jesus called him. The call of Jesus gave him to strength, not only to overcome the fear but to go on to do something extraordinary. The faith and hope in Jesus and the Word activates the courage in Peter go up and beyond. In this phase of my life, where fear upon fear seek to entangle me, courage has to come from somewhere. It is in times such as these; when my own courage fails me, the courage and strength comes for the fact that I know I am not alone. The grace of Jesus enables me to move beyond my normal and ordinary, the courage and strength to make changes in life - in personal, work and spiritual.

This year, there have been an incredible amount of changes in my life. It is strange that coming changes would instilled some fear in me but it has, now it is finding the grace, faith, hope in the love of Jesus to overcome!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion - Where's my security?

Uniqueness of each journey

Problems, Problems and Problems...