Devotion - Hope defer makes the heart sick...

 




'Hope deferred makes the heart sick, But when desire is fulfilled, it is a tree of life. '

Proverbs 13:12

This was something I hesitated to write about because it is a hard topic. But the time has come, so here goes: "Hope" is defined as "a feeling of expectation and desire for a particular thing to happen."

Everyone needs hope. Hope fills our souls with expectations, passion, desire, and dreams. We all need it to live a fulfilling life. But what happens went hope is prolonged and unfilled? Could that have the reverse effect? I am the worst-type of wait-er. I am impatient, and the thought of waiting drives me crazy. The pain and ache that is felt in the waiting, along with the slight of joy when things seem to be moving. What happens when this goes for too long? There is a limit to it. The Bible talks a lot about hope, here is my struggle. This verse almost feels like it contradicts the other verses, but I don't feel it does.

It is true that unfilled hope brings both hope and ache all at once; the prolong of this feeling, the ache and pain increases and the heart becomes sick. But sickness will heal, and pain will ease. Get looking forward to the hope with an open mind, the trust in Him who is able to carry us through times of aching until the days when hope fulfills. It brings life to the receiver and joy to the soul. My hope isn't based on a floating thought or idea but it is based on the One who holds the future in His hands and has my well-being in His thoughts (Jer. 29:11)

Sure waiting for hope to be fulfilled makes the heart sick but in the waiting, but something happens in the waiting. There is a stirring, longing, growth, maturing, and the enjoyment of fulfillment. All of these parts help us to grow and move towards hope, setting us in a better place when the hope is fulfilled. I do a lot of cooking in the microwave. First I am lazy, but it is faster for impatient people like me. But something I do notice. The food, though it is quick, does not taste as good as when it is cooking the old fashion way. No what! Secondly, there are some things you just CANNOT cook in the microwave, it needs the time for the flavour and aroma to set in to bring the food to its fullest potential. Likewise, we need to allow all the flavour and aroma of life to set in to bring hope to its fullness potential.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion - Where's my security?

Uniqueness of each journey

Problems, Problems and Problems...