Sailing with the Wind

The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.”
John 3:8 (NIV)

I was out for my daily walk a couple of nights ago and a song called, "Sailing" by Christopher Cross (I know, right.. what a name!). It is a great song to listen especially on a Summer's day with the sun shining and looking out on the waters. Anyway as you can guess, the song is about sailing and one of the reasons I do like this song besides the melody is that it instills a vision of peace and tranquility. To travel with the freedom, looking forward to the next destination that winds would carry.

The chorus goes like this (and no I am not going to sing it!).

Sailing takes me away to where I've always heard it could be
Just a dream and the wind to carry me
And soon I will be free

It reminds me of a Bible scripture, John 3:8. And so I heard the question of why? Well, this Scripture and few others, compare Holy Spirit to wind in some of the "attributes" for the sake of a word, so we can understand some of the characteristics of the Holy Spirit. Like the wind, we can't control the Holy Spirit. He is in control and does as He pleases, but we hear His Voice and guidance.

Often I get caught up with my own dreams and vision about life to the point that I am frustrated that I haven't been able to achieve what I have planned. The dreams and visions I have were something that instills hope and a pursue of life. Something that propels forward to discovery, growth, to travel to different places and experience the freedom that God had intended life to be. Have a read at Romans 15:13 (TPT)

Now may God, the inspiration and fountain of hope, fill you to overflowing with uncontainable joy and perfect peace as you trust in him. And may the power of the Holy Spirit continually surround your life with his super-abundance until you radiate with hope!

Such powerful and inspiring words of God's desire for the life He had prepared for me! But yet, those same visions and dreams have become a source of discouragement and restraint to the freedom, peace, and hope He had desired for me. But as I listen to the song and reflect on the words of the scripture of John 3:8, it is a remain that God gave His Spirit so we would have the liberty to be whom He has called us to be.
Like it is when we are sailing, we are at the mercy of the Wind. Sure we can try to stir and guide the boat in a direction, but if we try to go too far against the wind, the boat will be in danger of overturning. If the sails are not set up correctly, we will not give the full potential the wind offers. If we don't put up the sails at all, well, we don't move anywhere. But if we set up the sail correctly, the freedom and power of the wind will carry us without too much effort. The travel is light and peaceful.
So how does my rumbling of the wind, Holy Spirit, and my visions and dreams tied together? Joel 2:28

“And afterward,
I will pour out my Spirit on all people.
Your sons and daughters will prophesy,
your old men will dream dreams,
your young men will see visions.

The dreams and visions I have for my life are a little selfish but it is also bigger than I. Some of those dreams and visions are things I pray I will see and do in my lifetime, but there is a working of the heart which God has given me. Some of the dreams and visions are God-inspired as is said in Joel 2. And being God-inspired, it is not something I can achieve on my own but I need the power, wisdom, and strength from the Lord. The promise and the hope of Holy Spirit-given dreams and visions on one's life aren't about the hard work but it is made easier with the strength of His Wind.
Like the sailors of old, learning to read and understand the winds; for me, I need to sit to learn to listen to what God wants to teach. Learning and understand how to set me sails so I can catch the full potential of the Winds. I know if I do manage that.. "Sailing takes me away to where I've always heard it could be". What are the sails of my life - my attitude, my actions, my ability to posture myself before the Lord.

The song reminds me, that traveling with the Holy Spirit is supposed to be free, peace, and light - if I set my sails correctly. Vision and dream of my next destination depend on the Wind (Holy Spirit) that is carrying. And like the song says:

Just a dream and the wind to carry me
And soon I will be free

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion - Where's my security?

Uniqueness of each journey

Problems, Problems and Problems...