Second Chances

4 “How can someone be born when they are old?” Nicodemus asked. “Surely they cannot enter a second time into their mother’s womb to be born!” ~John 3:4



It is interesting how the human mind works. Often we wonder, "if only I had another chance again, I would do this differently.." A chance to start again, to start new. A chance to learn from past mistakes and start to live a life that is more rewarding. Who would not want that, right?

I often ponder about this. I know I have made countless of silly and hurtful mistakes in my life if only I can have a chance to go back and do it all over again. I have also found that life has very different ideas to what I have and sometimes, I am trapped by my own thoughts and restraints.

Like a bird in a cage; The bird loves and dreams of the idea what one day it will be free. It will be able to spread its wings and fly to the sun again. One day, the owner takes pity for the bird and opens the door for it to finally live that dream, and for some reason; the bird can't. Whether it thinks it is a trap or the fear of the unknown or it doesn't know what it means to be free. Either way, the bird must truly want to be free and have the courage to step out of that cage.

Jesus offers this very thing. A chance to live as God indeed for us to live. I know sometimes I struggle with the details, like Nicodemus, "well how can I be born again?". I have realise there are things which I have no answers for - "why am I like this?" "Why do I hate my veggies?" "Why am I born with this and that?" May we have been mold and condition by the world around to think and act in a certain way. But there is still a choice we need to make.

The beautiful thing about God's second chance is that the details of how is in His hands, not mine to work out. Like the bird, I do need to make a choice in what I want to do - accept the generosity of help or stay in the cage. 

In 2 Corinthians, we are reminded that we are a new creation; everything is new again and the pass is washed away. Love that idea!!! But I still need to make the choice to take the step and accept the help, otherwise, the idea is just the idea. I have found at times; I love the idea, talking it as though I know it, but to take action to step out to live it! Another story.

Jesus offers not only a chance at a new life but also a promise that it will be more rewarding if we are willing to allow Him to guide us. A promise there is new hope for us and the challenge is to take hold of it and live it out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion - Where's my security?

Uniqueness of each journey

Problems, Problems and Problems...