Anyone wants a genie?

6So Jesus went with them. He was not far from the house when the centurion sent friends to say to him: "Lord, don't trouble yourself, for I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. 7That is why I did not even consider myself worthy to come to you. But say the word, and my servant will be healed. 8For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, 'Go,' and he goes; and that one, 'Come,' and he comes. I say to my servant, 'Do this,' and he does it." - Luke 7:6-8 -

Driving in today, there was an advertisement for house-cleaning service with a genie doing his magic and bang! The house is clean. Then it had me thinking. I was wondering what happened to Aladdin after he won the princess. Would he have turn into a big, over-sized, spoil brat who gets everything he wanted?

The thing about having a genie is that, it makes us fat and spoil. If we can just sit there, snap our fingers and pressio! The house is clean. Snap! And garden is done. Snap! Dinner is ready. Snap! A beautiful partner is there to wait on us. If this is the case, I think a couple of things will may happen:

1) We get fatter and lazier!
2) We become the hoarder of things
3) We get bored with life and start to take things for granted
4) We become more inpatient and short-temper as we get into the state of mind of "we want it and want it now"
5) We will never grow and develop as a person. Rather we will still be in our infancy where tantrums are thrown when things to work the way we want it too, rather than working through things. We learn to scheme and deceive to get what we want.

This passage of the centurion has to be one of the great encounters a person has with Jesus. The centurion wasn't just looking for a genie for a quick fix to life's solutions. He was looking for a permanent solution to see his daughter fully recovered and in the process, I believe found something greater. He found a faith that even surprised the Son of God and in the process found life for him and his daughter. He grew as a spiritual and physical man that day. But he didn't take charge of the situation, he allow Jesus to take charge of the situation. He understood what authority was and in order for anything sufficient to be achieve, he had to submit to the lordship of Jesus.

What are we after in our Christian walk? A genie? or A Lord?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion - Where's my security?

Uniqueness of each journey

Problems, Problems and Problems...